Donald Trump will not drop out, but his campaign is urging him to do so, according to the New York Times.
Trump’s campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, told the Times that the president would not leave the race “unless he has to.”
But Trump himself has yet to announce his decision to exit.
He tweeted on Saturday that he was “not dropping out.”
Conway added that the campaign was “trying to get through this week,” adding, “He’s been asking for help.”
Trump has been the most unpopular president in American history, with a 51 percent disapproval rating, according a Quinnipiac University poll released earlier this month.
His approval rating has been below 40 percent in all of his past three presidential campaigns.
The Times noted that he would not have to quit the race to make the decision.
“If he wanted to, Mr. Trump could just walk away and not leave.
But he does not,” Conway said.
“He knows that this is the way that he wants it, and he will not give up.”
Trump’s aides have repeatedly said that he will remain in the race, even if he has not yet decided to leave.
In an interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos, Conway said, “I think he is going to stay in the campaign, and the American people will have a say in that decision.”
She added, “The president believes that he should stay in.”
Trump and his aides have said that if he did not decide to quit, he would consider resigning from the race.
But the president has not done so.
He has also said that it would be “a terrible mistake” for him to leave the election race and has repeatedly said he would support the winner.
On Saturday, Trump’s chief of staff, Reince Priebus, said that Trump has decided to stay on the campaign despite the fact that he has said that the time is not right.
“It’s time for the president to decide whether he is running or not, and it’s time to move on from the issues,” Priebus said on “Fox News Sunday.”
“He has a long way to go.
I think it’s about time for him, as he has expressed it.
He needs to have that conversation with his family.
Trump tweeted Saturday afternoon that he “will continue to campaign for him in his fight for the Republican nomination.”